Monday 28 November 2011

I don't need pity!


Next morning when I was awake and still lying in my bed debating whether or not should I climbed out of the bed, as I was failed to figure out one good reason to go in the shower, my debate was interrupted by the loud banging on the front door of the apartment. For a moment I considered to ignore it but with every passing second the banging was getting louder and shriller. Throwing aside the duvet, I dragged myself out of the warm bed and pushed myself towards the door. Usually it takes me only thirty seconds to reach the front door but today it took me ninety seconds.
“Have you died or what?” Priya shrieked as I yanked open the door.

“Lower down your voice. My head is bursting” I walked back towards the kitchen counter as she slammed the door shut before following me inside the apartment.
“Adhaya! Where is your phone? Why is it switched off?? Do you have any idea how many times have I tried to call you and how worried was I when I didn’t get hold of you? You little bimbo!” She tetchily asked me.

“Look I am already stressed and by asking all this questions you are really freaking me out” I said sternly. “My phone is somewhere there shoved in the sofa. It is switched off because I don’t wish to hear all those “poor you” and “don’t be upset” and “everything will be fine” things from you and anyone else. I don’t need your pity!” I added haughtily. There was an awkward silence before Priya opened her moth again.
“Couldn’t you wait in office for me to I arrive? I would have walked you home. AND I do not pity you for your information. I was just being worried for you!” she crocked and suddenly I felt bad for being so rude to her in the first place.

“Don’t worry for me. Damage has been done. I will sort it out…at least I hope to sort it out” I said and before I could knew a single fat tear rolled out on my left cheek. Priya stepped closer to me and dragged me in a hug. “Don’t cry…we will sort it out” she said in a shivering voice. Whenever she tries too hard to not to cry, her voice shivers and her nose turns into strange color of red.
“How? I have ruined it with my hands. I am such an emotional fool. What will I do now? How will I pay the rent? Who will give me another job?” I heard myself saying still locked inside the safest arms on the planet.

“Don’t think about it just now. We have plenty of time to worry about all the things. Right now what all you need is just a good cup of coffee and tons of breakfast. You know you are allowed to eat yourself to death under the crucial circumstances like after being dumped or sudden unemployment” she said innocently and I couldn’t resist letting a little laugh to escape from my trembling lips. “Now you just go and wash your face and I will cook you a good breakfast” Priya walked me to the bathroom and gave me a half hug before turning on her Aldo’s and clattering towards the kitchen.
“Don’t you think it seriously bit too much of the breakfast?” I asked while taking the plate from the table loaded with three egg-white’s omelet, two brown bread slices with Nutella all over them and a portion of garlic bread and settled on the sofa.

“I bet you haven’t eaten anything since yesterday and you must be practically starving by now” Priya placed the pot of coffee and two mugs on the table, flopped on the sofa just next to me and started munching on her toast while letting all the bread crumbs falling on her beautiful UCB green chiffon dress.
“To be honest I didn’t eat from a night before yesterday when I went out with Vikrant” as I said his name, all the things from that night came flooding back in my mind.

“Hey! What exactly had happened?” She asked gingerly and while shoving one thing and then the other in my mouth from my plate, I told her entire story all over again. And strangely I felt much lighter. Priya had been a great listener, she listened to me without any ‘awwwwwwwwwwws’, ‘ooooooohhhhhs’ and ‘shits’ much to my relief.
“Hmmmm….Don’t worry we will sort it out” Priya threw her hands around my shoulders and by the look of her eyes I knew she meant it. “Coffee?” she said extracting herself from me and leaning on the table to fill the mugs.

“I love you” once again I felt tears in my eyes. I always knew Priya would always be there whenever I need her but today when she was here sitting on my sofa and munching bread with me while listening my unemployment story, I felt maybe my life is not all that bad.
“I love you too babes” she said and passed me my mug.


Signing off:
Unemployed girl in the big city!!




No comments:

Post a Comment